MY FAVOURITE POLISH FOLK SONGS


Caroline - Karolinka

This song is about a girl named Karolinka (Carolina). Karolinka went to Gogolin city and after her went a guy called Karliczek with a bottle of wine. I don't know what you want from me Karliczek, she asked. I already told you Karliczek, that I don't want you - she added. Then the choir sings: come back Karolinka as the guests are coming over. I am not gonna come back as I am sad and already on the bridge. Then there are different words depending from the song version. Ending says that Karolinka will not gonna come back as she is already on the bridge and she will not respond for the calling as she will do things how she wants and by her way and she will find herself a men that she really likes.




A Little Bird Flew By - Ej przeleciał ptaszek 

The girl sings: A Little Bird Flew By the 'kalinowy' forest and his grey feathers have shaken a bit. Don't you cry girl. You can hear the wind and the leaves pouring over the trees and you can see the yellow leaves coming down from the trees. They have taken away my man and I am so out of place now. My parents want me to marry somebody else.  My love, you are so far away. Let my tears come to you. Far away is the sun on the sky but you are even more far away then the sun is. You will not come to me and neither I am gonna come to you. Sad my life is when we are not together. Sad is my very sad home without you.




KUKUŁECZKA KUKA - A Cuckoo makes the Coo coo sound

Cuckoo bird makes the coo coo sound. Boy is looking for a girl. He is looking and looking with a raised nose. He hasn't got the money but he behaves like he has. All other men also behave like that. Ask the Cuckoo bird which boy to choose. Bird answers that the richest man is not the one that has the most money but the one that has something in his head. 

(the words in the chorus have no meaning - they are just to highlight the music)

Comments